It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:18 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Asian Indonesian Tsunami Museum
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

A museum commemorating the victims of the 2004 Asian tsunami has opened in the Indonesian province of Aceh.

It has been designed as a symbolic reminder of the disaster, as well as an educational centre.

It will also serve as an emergency disaster shelter in case the area is ever hit by a tsunami again.

Aceh was home to more than half the 240,000 people who died in the disaster. The outpouring of aid which followed was the largest in history.

It is four storeys high, and built in the shape of a ship; its long curving walls covered in geometric Islamic reliefs.

From above, the roof resembles a tidal wave. And the ground floor is modelled on the kind of traditional raised Acehnese houses that were best equipped to survive the tsunami.

Inside, visitors enter through a dark, narrow corridor between two high walls of water - meant to recreate the noise and panic of the tsunami itself.

http://globalmuseum.ning.com/photo/the-tsunami-museum-under
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7905770.stm

Post subject: Re: Asian Indonesian Tsunami Museum
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:52 pm 
Yeah,i visit it personally in 2010 an its historical spot and tourist come to that museum to take a lot of information about the museum and i,m also a tourist and its an impressive place to see because there are a lot of destructive things to be displayed which reminds us about the Tsunami.I like it.