It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:36 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Booking Flights Online With BDO Credit Card WARNING
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:30 pm 

Just to let you know booking flights online with a BDO credit card is a dangerous game.

A few months back I received a "virtual credit card" from BDO bank to augment my normal credit card. The virtual card was given in place of the normal credit card because BDO was getting too many charge-backs with Mastercard. The virtual credit card can only be used for online purchases.

The conditions on the back of the virtual credit card specifically state it cannot be used for booking flights online but when I called BDO customer service they assured me that ALL DOMESTIC airlines would accept the virtual credit card anyway.

I booked with Air Philippines last week and used the virtual credit card. No problem until I arrived at check-in yesterday. Not accepted; even though their online flight booking service had accepted my money.

Result: I have to wait 45 days for the money to be returned and pay the interest!

I called BDO customer service and they confirmed that Air Philippines would not accept it (despite their earlier assertion that ALL DOMESTIC airlines would accept it), and they added that Zest Air would not accept it either - it is worth noting that I had successfully booked a Zest Air flight approximately two weeks previously using the virtual credit card with no problems.

It seems that BDO and the airlines are not talking to each other and acceptance depends on the check-in staff on the day.

But who is liable if the airline has already accepted the booking and accepted the mode of payment and then the check-in staff refuse to honor it? The check-in staff say it is the responsibility of the card issuer to advise their clients; BDO customer service say it is the responsibility of the card holder to check the terms and conditions of the merchant (the airline). My opinion is that it is the responsibility of the card issuer to provide the card holder with accurate information AND it is the responsibility of the merchant (the airline) to reject a mode of payment at the time of confirming an online flight booking if they know they will reject it later - they could do this easily based on the virtual credit card number prefix.

My advice: don't use a BDO virtual credit card for booking flights online until BDO start talking to the airlines and can offer a written list of airlines that will accept the BDO virtual credit card.

Post subject: Re: Booking Flights Online With BDO Credit Card WARNING
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:43 am 
Maybe Henry Si (BDO) and Lucio Tan (Air Philippines) have had a falling out :lol: