It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:42 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Is White Water Rafting Safe IN Cagayan De Oro?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:07 pm 

I read about the case of the lady who died last month in Cagayan De Oro while White Water Rafting. Accidents happen but is the rafting safe there?

I ask because a friend and I were planning a trip to include white water rafting. Not sure now.

Post subject: Re: Is White Water Rafting Safe In Cagayan De Oro?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:56 am 
Site Admin

The accident in Cagayan De Oro may or may not have been avoidable. My personal experience of both Cagayan de Oro and white water rafting in Davao is that the operators in Davao are more safety conscious and provide more instruction to rafters, especially those with little or no experience.

For example in Davao everyone is required to perform a man-overboard and a recovery practice immediately after pushing out from the river bank. This focuses the participants on safety first and reduces the likelihood of a person panicking if they do end up overboard unexpectedly. Panic kills more people in the water than anything else.

By contrast, when we did the Cagayan De Oro white water rafting with Bugsay (one of the oldest rafting operators on the Cagayan River) there were no on-the-water drills, only instruction on land about how to paddle and what paddling commands you may be given by the river guides. My partner and I were prompted to comment specifically on the different approaches to safety after having completed both rafting adventures.

We will probably never know exactly what went wrong in Cagayan De Oro on the day but my view is that the Cagayan operators should take note of the best practices of the Davao white water rafting operators. Which is somewhat ironic insomuch as the Davao rafting operators first got the idea of developing rafting in Davao after visits to Cagayan De Oro. I guess they just wanted to do it better in Davao.

If you want to consider Davao as an alternative you may want to sign up for a white water rafting package tour offered by tour operators such as this one http://www.travel-davao.com/white-water-davao.php. My partner and I have used them before and they are very knowledgeable about all activities around Davao Region.